Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Still working away...

Well, we've been doing school with Caleb now since August and I must say that he is a good little student! HE absolutely LOVES learning and practically begs us to "do school" with him several times a day. Teaching him at home is GREAT! There are SO many learning opportunities which occur naturally throughout a day. We do our best to take advantage these times, in addition to the more "formal" times we have with Caleb to do projects or work on certain subjects or skills.
He does well at whatever we work on with him. Currently he is reading words with short vowel sounds like : DOG, MAN, CAT, PAN, MAT, SAT, RAT. RAN, BUS, UP, HOT, POT....on and on! He tries to read signs when we are out and about in town. The biggest and most impressive word he has ever read was from a sign he saw in a shop window that said, "AVAILABLE!" I was blown away!
Caleb loves to draw, read, do math work, do art projects (specifically those which require gluing and painting!) He has really been working on his cutting skills and recently his "Space school" teacher (from a homeschool enrichment program) commented on how well he cuts! He is also a good sport when we have him practice his handwriting (which isn't always the most fun thing in the world for a 4 1/2 year old to do).
Ben spends lots of time with Caleb studying space related things and they just go crazy over space!
Currently the Space Shuttle is up and we all watched the lift off take place Saturday night. Caleb was enthralled! We frequently check on the astronauts by watching them live on one of NASAs websites.
I could write more, but I'll stop for now. We haven't really been taking school pictures lately, so I thought I'd write an entry.

No comments: